Seasoned CrossFitters know all concerning the benchmark exercises. They’re those that go away you feeling exhausted, exhilarated, and robust — all on the identical time. Angie, which debuted in 2005, is without doubt one of the benchmark exercises that CrossFit athletes use to measure progress, efficiency, power good points, and general health ranges. This exercise of the day (WOD) is a part of the “Ladies” sequence that requires you to carry out the massive 4 body weight workouts: 100 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, and 100 body weight/air squats.
The objective is to finish 100 reps of every train earlier than shifting to the subsequent transfer. Since this can be a benchmark exercise, you’ll measure the time it takes so that you can full all the workouts, which equals 400 reps whole. You’ll file your time and examine it to a earlier timed Angie WOD or use it because the beginning benchmark and set targets to enhance your time.
Rating: The objective of Angie is to carry out 100 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, and 100 body weight squats for time. As a result of this can be a “benchmark” WOD, you need to file how lengthy it takes you to finish this exercise. Your objective must be to shave off time with each repeated try.
Tools Wanted: Angie is a bodyweight-only exercise, however you do want entry to a pull-up bar. You might also need to have a band or ring rows for those who plan on “scaling” the pull-ups. Scaling the exercise implies that you modify the exercise by both reducing or growing its issue.
Stage: Angie is supposed for all ranges of CrossFit athletes, as a result of the whole variety of reps will be modified relying in your health stage.
Angie is a full-body exercise that targets all the main muscle teams. Extra particularly, you’ll be able to count on to really feel your lats, shoulders, chest, abdominals, quads, hamstrings, and glutes working throughout the actions. And don’t be shocked if these muscle mass nonetheless really feel pumped after ending the exercise. Plus, the high-rep scheme and objective to finish it as shortly as doable will maintain your coronary heart price up and provide you with a superb metabolic exercise.
100+ CrossFit Hero WODs to Strive
- Verify to ensure you have all the instruments wanted to finish the exercise: a timer, pull-up bar, and mat for the sit-ups.
- Do a brief warm-up consisting of dynamic workouts similar to leg swings, knee hugs, strolling lunges, excessive knee skips, windmills, and many others.
- The primary train is pull-ups, so be certain the timer is shut by so you’ll be able to press begin if you end up able to do your first pull-up. You could have a alternative in the way you full every set of 100. For instance, you are able to do 5 units of 20, 10 units of 10, 4 units of 25, the chances are infinite. This lets you take a brief break between every “mini-set” to catch your breath or relaxation your muscle mass so you’ll be able to full all the 100 repetitions. If it’s essential modify the whole variety of reps, see the steps below the modifications part.
- Carry out 100 pull-ups. That is the train the place you will have some alternative in the way you need to do the motion. You are able to do a straight pull-up, butterfly, or kipping pull-up. Stand below the pull-up bar. Seize the bar utilizing a pronated grip (palms dealing with out). Elevate your physique off the ground and pull your self up till your chin breaks the horizontal airplane of the bar (slightly above stage with the bar). Pause, then decrease again down and repeat with out letting your toes contact the ground.
- Carry out 100 push-ups. Lie facedown on the ground. Together with your arms about three inches wider than shoulder-width aside, push your self up right into a push-up place. Totally prolong your elbows after which decrease your physique till your chest touches the bottom.
- Carry out 100 sit-ups. Lots of CrossFit containers use an abmat to carry out sit-ups. An abmat is a curved foam mat that’s positioned below your decrease again. With the abmat on the ground, sit down, place the underside of your toes collectively, so they’re touching one another. Your knees shall be mentioning to the perimeters. Be sure that the abmat is behind your decrease again/lumbar backbone, and lie all the way in which again. Your arms will contact the ground behind your head. Have interaction your belly muscle mass and raise your torso into the seated place. Proceed till you contact your arms to your toes. Repeat.
- Carry out 100 body weight/air squats. Stand together with your toes hip-width aside, and toes pointed barely out. Weight must be on the again of your heels. Have interaction your core, maintain your chest up (pull shoulder blades in the direction of one another), and bend your knees to squat down like you might be on the brink of sit in a chair. Increase your arms out in entrance of you and squat down till your thighs are barely beneath parallel. Arms shall be out in entrance of you and gaze straight forward. Pause on the backside of the squat. Take a deep breath, then exhale as you straighten your legs and squeeze your glutes to come back as much as the beginning place. Your arms will decrease to the perimeters.
- Bear in mind to complete all 100 reps of an train earlier than shifting to the subsequent transfer.
- Cease the timer and file your time.
- Hydrate and funky down for 5 minutes.
Not Defining Your Exercise Area
For the reason that solely train tools you want is a pull-up bar, attempt to do all 4 workouts proper by the pull-up bar. That manner, you’re not losing time between workouts shifting to a distinct a part of the health club or field.
Going Too Quick
Sure, you’re attempting to do that exercise for time, however you additionally must tempo your self. When you empty the gasoline within the first 30 reps, you’ll battle to make it to 100.
Performing the Exercise Too Typically
These benchmark exercises usually are not designed to be a weekly exercise. It’s best to solely carry out the Angie WOD each few months to trace your progress.
Not Scaling the Exercise
This isn’t the time to go all out for those who’re not prepared for a excessive depth stage. In case you are new to CrossFit or simply starting your health journey, it’s okay to do the reps in units or do a modified model of an train. As you get stronger, you might start to do some workouts with out modifications. Simply keep in mind that whenever you assess your progress, take these modifications under consideration when evaluating your present efficiency to your previous efficiency.
Modifications and Variations
When you’re new to train, coming off of an damage, or new to CrossFit, you’ll be able to modify this WOD by scaling it down and reducing the issue. The simplest solution to accomplish that is to lower the variety of repetitions for every train. For instance, you’ll be able to scale down the reps to 50 every. If this feels difficult, keep at this rep scheme for just a few benchmark exercises earlier than tackling the complete WOD.
There are additionally methods to scale every train. When you plan on doing a modified model of the workouts, think about having a coach stroll you thru the modification, particularly if it entails utilizing any tools. For the pull-up, you’ll be able to modify the train by performing them with a band, ring rows, TRX straps, or do leaping pull-ups. The push-ups will be executed in your knees, together with your arms on a bench, or utilizing a bar for assist in a squat rack. To switch the sit-ups, you are able to do half the motion or sit-ups with supported legs.
Security and Precaution
Angie is a exercise you are able to do at dwelling, the health club, or at a CrossFit field. So long as you will have entry to a pull-up bar and an train mat or padded flooring for the sit-ups, you’ll be able to simply carry out this exercise with little steering. That stated, right kind is every thing. In case you are unfamiliar with the best way to carry out the workouts with correct kind, it’s a good suggestion to do that exercise at a CrossFit field with the steering of a licensed CrossFit coach. And naturally, warming up with dynamic workouts previous to setting the timer will make sure that your physique is heat and prepared for the depth of the exercise. As with all exercise, be certain your physique is correctly fueled and hydrated.
Can this CrossFit Lady WOD improve your higher physique power?